A lightweight, easy to use kayak and canoe sail with 50% larger sail area!
Responding to the needs of canoeists and tandem boaters, the 56" WindPaddle Cruiser Sail combines the lightweight ease-of-use features of the WindPaddle Adventure Sail but cranks the power up a few notches for the heavier boats.
With a 50% larger sail area, the WindPaddle Cruiser Sail launches and flies from the on-deck position. It can be set-up for instant self-launching either before sailing or while out on the water, so there's no need to return to shore to launch!
The WindPaddle Cruiser Sail comes with the WindHarness strap that connects to the existing boat hardware (perimeter line, bungy cords, eye-straps, etc.) and a continuous-line sheet for controlling the sail.
All WindPaddle sails launch and fly from the on-deck position. It can be set up for instant self-launching either before sailing or while out on the water so there's no need to return to shore to launch your sail!
Ease of Set-up
The WindPaddle was developed to quickly and easily connect to the deck of any boat. The simple to use clips on the mounting harness make this possible. Connect to your boat or or switch between boats in seconds. If your boat has anything that can be clipped to - including deck lines, cleats, bungees, pad eyes, fairleads, thwarts, handholds on the gunwale or bench seat - you can attach your WindPaddle to it!
Ease of Use
The WindPaddle sail deploys in a matter of seconds from the on-deck location. A continuous sheet (or steering line) allows the paddler to easily control the sail while keeping their paddle in their hands for bracing and steering. A large window in the center panel of the sail adds visibility.
Safety. The unique circular design of the WindPaddle puts the sails’s center-of-force down low - at about the same level as the paddler - making the boat/sail combination incredibly stable and easy-to-use. As wind speed increases, the center of effort remains fixed and doesn't move up or down. And it's easy to depower the sail instantly - just drop the lines - so you're always in control.
- WindPaddle sails look like they are made by a sailmaker, because they are! Combine modern materials, technology and proven sail design, and you get a high-performance sail that's durable and easy-to-use.
- Half-ounce rip-stop polyester spinnaker sailcloth, the same material used on racing yachts. This material is low-stretch fabric that will not absorb water or become heavy when wet.
- Seams are sail-taped and sewn using traditional triple-stitch zigzag sail seam construction. A triple-stitch zigzag results in a strong seam where the panels are sewn.
- The windowed sail is supported by a laminated and non-corroding high-modulus yet highly elastic and virtually unbreakable perimeter batten. This batten can be deformed (twisted, bent) yet will still return to its original circular shape. The batten allows the sail to be coiled into thirds for compact stowage and storage.
Combine this with the ability to be quickly launched and taken down while out on the water and you have a safe, easy-to-use sail that is the BEST approach to small watercraft sailing!!
- Target boat – Kayaks, Canoes, Inflatables, Tandems and Expedition boats 14’ – 18’
- Target wind range – 5 – 30 knots (2-7 BFT)
- Target paddler – intermediate to expert
- Off-wind sailing angle - +180 degrees
- Deployed diameter - 56" (142.24 cm.) Coiled/folded diameter - 20" (50 cm.)
- Sail area - 17.1 sq. ft. (1.589 m²)
- Weight - 22 oz. (0.6237 kg.)